Change Your Sex Identifier

To get a new credential, you must request the change in person and present a new Colorado birth certificate or DR 2083 form. There is no additional fee for people to change the sex identifier, however, individuals will need to pay the standard fee to obtain a new credential.
  • People can designate M (male), F (female) or X.
  • To change your sex designation when renewing or applying for a driver license or identification card, you need to present a Colorado birth certificate or the DR 2083 Change of Sex Designation form.
  • Return the completed form to a driver license office and apply for or renew your credential to change your sex identifier. You must appear at an office in person to change your sex identifier.
    • If you changed your name, please visit the Social Security Administration, then wait 24 hours before visiting a Driver License Office with your new birth certificate so the DMV can add your new name.
  • Online renewal and renewal by mail cannot be used to change the sex designation on a Colorado driver license, identification card, or identification document.
  • Colorado law does not require residents to undergo any specific surgery, treatment, clinical care or behavioral healthcare to update their sex designation.
  • Under Colorado law, C.R.S. 42-2-107(2)(a)(III), the DMV may only amend a sex designation for a person's DMV credential one time at that person's request. Additional requests require the person to submit a court order indicating the sex change designation is required.

More Information