New with Valid License | Military | Vehicle Titles| Vehicles Fast Facts | Out of State Student | Voter Registration | Organ Donor
- Own or operate a business in Colorado OR
- Are gainfully employed in Colorado OR
- Reside in Colorado for 90 consecutive days
back to top
- Your driver license that is valid or expired less than one year.
- Required identification and proof of address documents
NOTE: Acceptance of a birth certificate is dependent on the certifying authority, which certifies the document by its seal. Birth certificates must have a seal from a state, county, or municipality.
- If you are younger than 18, an Affidavit of Liability or Guardianship (DR 2460) must be signed by your parent/legal guardian in front of a driver license employee or notary
- Applicable fee
Please note - If you have a valid license from another state but do not have a physical copy, you can either obtain and submit an motor vehicle record from the licensing state, or can requalify by taking written and road tests.
Please note - If you have previously held a Colorado license and have had a name change, you will need to bring name change documents.
- Colorado Driver License - Exemption: Active duty U.S. military personnel and their spouses are exempt from obtaining a Colorado driver license when they have a valid driver license issued by another state. Military personnel on active duty in Colorado and who claim another state as their home state of residence may register their vehicle(s) in Colorado.
- Specific Ownership Tax - Exemption: Active duty military personnel must be the owner or co-owner of the vehicle and complete Form DR2667 in order to obtain an exemption from paying the Specific Ownership Tax. The affidavit must be completed each year at time of renewal or with the application for registration of a newly purchased vehicle. These individuals are in Colorado because they are required to be here by their branch of service.
Information: Research Colorado Revised Statute 42-6-139 .
- A Colorado law enforcement officer
- A licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer
- A licensed Colorado emissions testing station
- Convert your out-of-state title to a Colorado title before you register your vehicle.
- You must provide proof of insurance and emissions (if applicable, find out the counties that require emissions) to the clerk and recorder before registration can occur.
- Once you arrive at the county Motor Vehicle office, you will need to pay the title and registration fees.
- Your Colorado title will be mailed to you if there are no liens filed against the vehicle. If there is a lien, the title will be mailed to the lienholder. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.