New to Colorado


panoramic photo of snow capped colorado mountains with pink and purple clouds behind them, and lilac flowers in the green meadow in the foreground

New with Valid License | Military | Vehicle Titles| Vehicles Fast Facts | Out of State Student | Voter Registration | Organ Donor


Colorado Requirements for Residency:

  • Own or operate a business in Colorado OR
  • Are gainfully employed in Colorado OR
  • Reside in Colorado for 90 consecutive days
After becoming a Colorado resident, you must transfer your driver license within 30 days and register your vehicle within 90 days. Vehicle registration is completed in the county you reside.

back to top

New Resident with a Valid License 16 Years of Age or Older:

Individuals who have not previously held a Colorado driver license or ID may begin their application online.
If you have a driver license that is valid or expired less than one year, was issued by another U.S. state, territory, and is in your possession, you will normally not be required to take the written exam or drive skills test. Driver license employees have the responsibility to require a drive test if there is a problem with your physical aptitude analysis or vision screening. Your valid out-of-state driver license will be used for identification purposes and to waive testing requirements. Per Colorado Revised Statute 24-60-1106, the license you previously held will be voided (it will be marked with a single hole punch in the upper right corner).,
When visiting a driver license office, please bring the following (Please see the application checklist for more information):
  1. Your driver license that is valid or expired less than one year.
  2. Required identification and proof of address documents
    NOTE: Acceptance of a birth certificate is dependent on the certifying authority, which certifies the document by its seal. Birth certificates must have a seal from a state, county, or municipality.
  3. If you are younger than 18, an Affidavit of Liability or Guardianship (DR 2460) must be signed by your parent/legal guardian in front of a driver license employee or notary
  4. Applicable fee

Please note - If you have a valid license from another state but do not have a physical copy, you can either obtain and submit an motor vehicle record from the licensing state, or can requalify by taking written and road tests.

Please note - If you have previously held a Colorado license and have had a name change, you will need to bring name change documents.


New to Colorado from another country?

U.S. Military:

  • Colorado Driver License - Exemption: Active duty U.S. military personnel and their spouses are exempt from obtaining a Colorado driver license when they have a valid driver license issued by another state. Military personnel on active duty in Colorado and who claim another state as their home state of residence may register their vehicle(s) in Colorado.
  • Specific Ownership Tax - Exemption: Active duty military personnel must be the owner or co-owner of the vehicle and complete  Form DR2667 in order to obtain an exemption from paying the Specific Ownership Tax. The affidavit must be completed each year at time of renewal or with the application for registration of a newly purchased vehicle. These individuals are in Colorado because they are required to be here by their branch of service. 
    Information: Research Colorado Revised Statute 42-6-139 .

Vehicle Title

If your vehicle was titled in another state, fill out the Verification of Vehicle Identification Number form (DR 2698), completed by either:

Vehicles - Fast Facts

  • Convert your out-of-state title to a Colorado title before you register your vehicle.
  • You must provide proof of insurance and emissions (if applicable, find out the counties that require emissions) to the clerk and recorder before registration can occur.
  • Once you arrive at the county Motor Vehicle office, you will need to pay the title and registration fees.
  • Your Colorado title will be mailed to you if there are no liens filed against the vehicle. If there is a lien, the title will be mailed to the lienholder. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.

Out of State Student Driver License

Any nonresident who is temporarily residing in Colorado for the principal purpose of furthering such nonresident's education is at least 16 years of age, has a valid driver license from his or her state of residence, and is considered a non-resident for tuition purposes by the educational institution he or she is attending is exempt from obtaining a Colorado driver license.

Out of State Student Plates

Colorado has reciprocity with all states regarding the validity of out of state plates for students. Students whose primary purpose to be in Colorado is to further his/her education will not be required to register their vehicle in Colorado.

Voter Registration

All Colorado driver license offices provide voter registration services. Once your voter registration information is completed at the driver license office, it is then forwarded to the specific county for which you have registered.
Please note, however, that all Driver License employees are prohibited from giving personal opinions regarding voting information or party affiliation.
You can register online or check to see that you are registered. You may also use the link to receive a paper voter registration form through the mail.

Organ and Tissue Donation in Colorado

Colorado has a statutory partnership with Donor Alliance to educate the public about organ and tissue donation. Since 2001, it has been possible to sign up on the Donate Life Colorado Organ & Tissue Donor Registry through the Division of Motor Vehicles by saying Yes when obtaining or renewing a driver permit, license or state ID. More than 68 percent of Coloradans have signed up to be organ, eye and tissue donors and save lives through organ and tissue donation and transplantation. One donor can save up to eight lives through organ donation and save and heal more than 75 lives through eye and tissue donation. Learn the facts about organ and tissue donation and transplantation through the resources below.
Helpful Links:

back to top