Motor Vehicle Record

Please note: Motor Vehicle Records are also known as MVRs or Driving Records

Requesting Your Driving Record

  • The Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles maintains driving records that reflect activity posted to the driver record for the past seven years.
    • The record cannot be limited to show periods of less than seven years.
  • Motor vehicle records are maintained in accordance with State and Federal laws including the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the requirements of the Federal Trade Commission.


  • You may purchase certified and non-certified copies of your  motor vehicle record online
    • Non-certified copies can be sent to either an email or a physical mailing address you provide.
    • Certified copies will be sent via postal mail.

By Mail

Written requests must include:
  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Driver license number (if available)
  • Complete and legible original signature of driver
  • Photocopy of driver photo ID bearing signature
  • Appropriate fee

In An Office

Certified and non-certified motor vehicle records may be purchased at any full-service driver license office.

Additional Information

For additional information, complete the web form.

Requesting Another Person's Driving Record

Due to the Privacy Law, an individual cannot receive a copy of someone else's driving record without that person's written permission. If you are an employer or there is a court case pending, you can read over our Driver Record Search Requestor Release form DR 2489 to see if you meet any of the listed criteria to request the record. Criteria include: a government agency; an agency charged with driver/motor vehicle safety or theft; a business that will use the information to verify the accuracy of information submitted by individuals for the purposes of preventing fraud; pursuing legal remedies against or recovering a debt or security interest; an insurer or insurance support agency in connection with claims, investigations, anti-fraud activities, rating or underwriting and more pursuant to 24-72-204 (7) C.R.S.