Out-of-State Transfer - Adult

  • You may transfer your valid, out-of-state driver license to Colorado.
  • Per Colorado Revised Statute 24-60-1106, the license you previously held will be voided (it will be marked with a single hole punch in the upper right corner).
  • If you do not have your out-of-state driver license, you may provide a motor vehicle record from your previous state of residence to waive the written exam and drive tests, but you are still required to meet identity requirements.
    • Your Motor Vehicle Record must:
      • Be printed within the last 30 days, and
      • Indicate valid driving privilege or privilege expired less than one year
When visiting a driver license office, please bring the following:
  • Your valid, or expired less than one year, out of state driver license.
  • The required identification documents
    • NOTE: Acceptance of a birth certificate is dependent on the certifying authority, which certifies the document by its seal. Birth certificates must have a seal from a state or county, not a city.
    • NOTE: If your out-of-state driver license or ID does not display your full legal name (i.e. middle name spelled out), please bring your certified original state or county issued birth certificate, U.S. passport (if applicable), or military ID (if applicable) to confirm your middle name. See list of acceptable identification documents.
  • If you are younger than 21, an Affidavit of Identity (DR2304) must be signed by your parent/legal guardian in front of a driver license employee.
  • Applicable fee

Please note - if you have previously held a Colorado license and have had a name change, you will need to bring name change documents.