Out-Of-State Titles

After becoming a Colorado resident, you have 90 days to register your vehicle. You will need to bring the following documentation to your local county motor vehicle office:

  • A Verification of Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) form DR 2698; completed by either:
    • A Colorado law enforcement officer
    • A licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer
    • A licensed Colorado emissions testing station
      (They will have the form)
  • Proof of Colorado insurance
  • Passing Emissions Test as required (verify with your local county motor vehicle office or the Emissions page)
  • Secure and verifiable identification
  • The current title, or other ownership documents, properly endorsed by the previous owner
  • Completed odometer disclosure
  • A bill of sale for tax purposes
  • If a lien is to be recorded, an acceptable mortgage document (security agreement) must be provided. The mortgage document must be an original, carbon copy or a certified copy that contains:
    • Year
    • Make
    • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
    • Owner and Lienholder’s name and address
    • Lien amount
    • Owner’s signature

Please contact the Vehicle Services Section at 303-205-5608 for additional questions.