Applicants who are Temporary Lawful Present Residents

If you are a Temporary Lawfully Present Resident and can establish proof of lawful presence but are unable to provide an identification document to establish identity and/or date of birth you may go through Exceptions Processing and provide documents from the Exceptions Processing Document List to meet these requirements. There are no alternative documents that can be accepted for proof of temporary lawful presence.

The Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will issue you a Notice of Incomplete Application if you are missing documents the DMV can use to verify your identity and/or date of birth. The Notice of Incomplete Application will list the acceptable documents you have provided, as well as the additional documents you still need to complete your application.

If you did not have the documents required to complete your application during your initial visit, you can return with the required documents to complete your application.

If, for reasons beyond your control, you cannot provide the required documents from the Identification Requirements Chart, you can request Exceptions Processing and provide documents from the Exceptions Processing Document List (Spanish).


Exceptions Processing Notices

All application for Exceptions Processing are subject to the following:

  • You'll be required from the Exceptions Processing document list (Spanish)
  • All documents must be originals or certified copies
  • All documents must be in English or translated to English
  • You must provide a name change document issued through marriage, adoption, court order or other mechanism permitted by State law or regulation for any name changes
  • The DMV reserves the right to review, consider and request additional information and documentation when determining identity, date of birth and U.S. citizenship
  • If the documents gathered through Exceptions Processing do not reasonably establish your identity, date of birth or lawful presence, you shall be issued a Notice of Denial. You can then request a hearing with the Hearings Section of the Department.