You must make an appointment to visit a driver license office and bring documentation showing your name change.
Please note: All name changes must be on file with the Social Security Administration before visiting a driver license office. It takes about 24-48 business hours for changes to be processed with the Social Security Administration.
Adult regular license and ID holders are required to renew their license/ID to change their name. You will be required to provide proof of address documents along with one of the acceptable name-change documents listed below.
Customers are required to notify the Department of Revenue within 30 days of changing their name due to marriage, divorce, separation or civil union.
Acceptable name change documents include:
- Certified marriage certificate: US, city, county, state or US territory.
- No church documents are accepted.
- Foreign marriage certificates are not recognized in Colorado
- Certified civil union certificate: city, county, state or US territory
- Certified tribal court marriage certificate showing a file registration number and Bureau of Indian Affairs seal with the tribal name
- Certified divorce decree: US, city, county, state or US territory with case number and official signature
- Certified decree of separation: signed by the judge, with the name restored
- Certified court order of name change: US, city, county, state or US territory
- Birth certificate
Coloradans may change their name to names present on their marriage/civil union certificate or court-ordered document.