Frequently Asked Questions
- What county do I reside in?
To obtain this information go to the United States Postal Service website. Click on Find a ZIP code, enter your address and click on Mailing Industry Information. In most cases, this will provide you the county name for your address.
- Where can I locate the counties' web sites?
County websites can be accessed by going to Colorado Counties Inc. and select the appropriate county.
- I am new to Colorado. What do I need to register and title my vehicle?
Once you have established residency in your county take the out-of-state title or registration for the vehicle that is not more than 6 months expired, driver license, proof of Colorado insurance, and VIN verification. If your county requires a current Colorado emissions test, Proof of Emissions test must be included also.
- I purchased a vehicle without at title, how do I get a title in my name?
If you purchased a vehicle without a title you will need to bond for the title to be in your name. Please see the DR 2922 Title or Salvage Title Established by Surety Bond for a list of instructions/requirements. Additional forms listed may be found on the Forms in Number Order page. This transaction would be completed with your county motor vehicle office.
- How can I transfer a title from a deceased owner?
You will need Letters of Testamentary or Administration or Small Estates showing who can sign for the vehicle, plus a death certificate. This individual could then sign the title as owner.
If it is in Joint tenancy with rights of survivorship (vehicle owned by 2 people) then the surviving owner could sign with a copy of the death certificate.
If there are 2 owners and one is deceased and the other has a Power of Attorney, the Letters of Testamentary or Administration or Small Estates would be needed for the deceased owner and the Power of Attorney would be needed for the other owner to show who can sign the title.
- A DR2009 State of Colorado Transfer of Title Upon Death Designated Beneficiary Form can be used in lieu of Letters of Testamentary or Administration or Small Estates and was previously completed by the deceased owner.
- Can I transfer an Out-of-State Title if there's a lien on the vehicle?
Please be advised that if the vehicle has a lien on it and you wish to title the vehicle in Colorado, then the lien information must be brought over to Colorado, and the security agreement would be submitted to the county motor vehicle office.
- Can a minor have a car titled in their name if they don't have a Driver License?
There is not an age requirement for titling a vehicle, but a requirement for titling a vehicle is to have a Secure and Verifiable ID (SVID). If they do not have a Driver’s License another SVID option would need to be met.
- Can I request a copy of my Bill of Sale submitted with an application for title?
If you are the owner of record, you can request a title search with the DR 2489A Motor Vehicle Requestor Release Affidavit of Intended Use form or do the search through myDMV. All documents that were surrendered for the title are included in this search. If a Bill of Sale was submitted, it would be included.