Active Duty Military and Veterans

Thank you for your service!

You must be a Colorado resident to obtain a Colorado driver license, ID card or instruction permit.


  • Renew online
    • Please note that when you renew online, your printed receipt and the old/expired credential will serve as your temporary credential. You will not be issued the same temporary credential that is issued to those who visit a driver license office in person.
  • Renew by mail
  • If your driver license or ID card has been expired for more than one year, you cannot renew online or by mail. If seeking a driver license, you must schedule an appointment at a Colorado driver license office, and you will be required to retest.


  • You can request a free 3 year extension online, or by submitting form Form DR 2342 (please find here) Out of State Extension.
  • You will not be required to retest, if you visit a Colorado driver license office before your three-year extension expires

Motorcycle Endorsements

Name Change

You must visit a Colorado driver license office to change your name

Lost or Stolen License

  • If your valid driver license or ID card has been lost or stolen, you may request an out-of-state reissue.

Veteran/Military Identifier

Colorado statute allows eligible applicants to add a veteran indicator, military identifier or both to their driver license or ID card, if eligibility requirements are met.

To get a veteran identifier on your license or ID, present one of the following documents during your appointment:
  • Original member 4 copy of the DD-214 
  • Valid military identification card
A military identifier can be added to your driver license or ID card, if you have served or are currently serving in the U.S. military. Only one military identifier may be added to a document (Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, National Guard, Navy or Space Force). Military identifiers from other states do not transfer -- applicants must present one of the following documents at a driver license office to add a military identifier:
  • Original member 4 copy of the DD214
  • Valid military identification card
  • Valid common access card

Once the veteran indicator and/or military identifier has been added to the driver license or ID card, additional documentation is not required at renewal.

Vets to Trucks Program

The Vets-2-Trucks program helps Colorado residents who are currently serving in the military, close to being discharged or have been recently discharged, (within one year), qualify for a Colorado CDL. The Vets-2-Trucks program waives the drive skills testing requirement, but requires individuals to successfully pass the written exams.

Vets-2-Trucks Forms

License plates

View a list of military license plates