First-time CDL Driver


CDL Initial Application Information


What do I Need to Obtain a CDL? 

  • Valid driver license from Colorado or another state or a commercial learner's permit
  • Current DOT medical card - find a FMCSA Certified Medical Examiner in your area
  • If you are transferring from another state, identification documents are required. 
  • Successful commercial drive skills test showing completed in Commercial Skills Test Information Management System (CSTIMS) (Testing company updates the system)
  • Must complete Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) at an approved school. Learn more about ELDT here.
  • If you want to add a HAZMAT endorsement on your CDL, you will need to take an Entry-Level Driver Training course (if adding the endorsement for the first time), successfully pass the HAZMAT written exam and provide a current TSA background check every time you purchase a CDL. See the TSA Website for more information.
  • Applicable fee

You will be required to

Commercial Learner's Permits

Learn how to obtain a Commercial Learner's Permit here

  • As of April 18, 2024, Commercial Learner's Permits (CLP) are valid for one year and are not eligible for renewal
    • Please note: The results of the written CDL knowledge test(s) are only valid for one issuance of a CLP. Once your CLP is issued, if you need a CLP with a different class or endorsement, you will have to re-take all required exams. Please take care to apply for the CLP that you need.
  • CLPs must be held for 14 calendar days before the CDL skills test can be taken at an approved third-party testing facility.

Classes of Commercial Licenses 

Learn more about the three classes of CDLs and what is required for each exam 

  • Class A - combination vehicles - consists of any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
    • Minimum exams required are:
      • General knowledge
      • Combination
      • Air brakes (required if driving a vehicle with air brakes)
  • Class B - straight trucks and light combinations - consists of any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more or any such vehicle towing a vehicle which does not have a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds
    • Minimum exams required are:
      • General knowledge
      • Air brakes (required if driving a vehicle with air brakes)
  • Class C - single vehicles less than 26,001 GVWR - consists of any single vehicle or combination of vehicles that do not meet the definition of a Class A or B commercial vehicle, but that transports 16 or more passengers (including the driver) OR is placarded for transportation of hazardous materials
    • Minimum exams required are:
      • General knowledge
      • Passenger (required if carrying 16 passengers or more including driver)
      • Hazardous materials (required if transporting hazardous materials)