Applicants turning 21 years of age must apply for their adult driver license, permit, or identification card on or after their 21st birthday to receive an adult credential.
Your new driver license, permit or ID card will be mailed to the address you provide. Documents usually arrive in 10-14 business days, but may take up to 30 business days to be delivered.
What to bring to your office visit:
- Your valid Colorado driver license, instruction permit or identification card (your credential may be expired as long as it's less than one year)
- If your driver license is expired for more than one year, you must pass the written exam, purchase an instruction permit, successfully pass the drive test and then purchase a driver license.
- Please note: If your Colorado driver license or identification card is currently expired, and you are a U.S. citizen or are permanently lawfully present in the U.S., you will need to bring an additional document to demonstrate lawful presence in the U.S. Please see the DR2300A for document examples.
- Proof of your Social Security number
- Proof of current Colorado address
- Applicable fee
What to expect during your office visit:
- Vision screening, (for driver licenses and permits)
- Review temporary document for accuracy
- Signature capture
- Fingerprint capture