- These taxes are based on the year of manufacture of the vehicle and the original taxable value which is determined when the vehicle is new and does not change throughout the life of the vehicle.
- The specific ownership taxes you paid for a registration year are on the back of your registration receipt.
- Ownership tax is in lieu of personal property tax. Vehicles do not need to be operated in order to be assessed this tax.
- The ownership tax rate is assessed on the original taxable value and year of service
- Specific Ownership Tax Class Tables- Tax Class B, Tax Class C, Tax Class D and Tax Class F
Funding Advancement for Surface Transportation Economic Recovery (FASTER) fees (Road Safety and Bridge Safety) were created with Senate Bill 09-108.
Road Safety Surcharge - 43-4-804(1)(a)(I) Bridge Safety Surcharge - 43-4-805(5)(g)
Vehicle Fee Vehicle Fee
Motorcycle $4.90 Motorcycle $13.00
Motorscooter $4.90 Motorscooter $13.00
Motorbicycle $4.90 Motorbicycle $13.00
2,000 lbs or less $4.90 2,000 lbs or less $13.00
2,001 - 5,000 lbs $11.90 2,001 - 5,000 lbs $18.00
5,001 - 10,000 lbs $16.90 5,001 - 10,000 lbs $23.00
Passenger Bus $25.90 Passenger Bus $29.00
10,001 - 16,000 lbs $25.90 10,001 - 16,000 lbs $29.00
16,001 lbs or more $27.90 16,001 lbs or more $32.00
Farm Vehicle Fee Farm Vehicle Fee
2,000 lbs or less $0.00 2,000 lbs or less $6.50
2,001 - 5,000 lbs $0.40 2,001 - 5,000 lbs $9.00
5,001 - 10,000 lbs $2.90 5,001 - 10,000 lbs $11.50
Passenger Bus $7.40 Passenger Bus $14.50
10,001 - 16,000 lbs $7.40 10,001 - 16,000 lbs $14.50
16,001 lbs or more $2.90 16,001 lbs or more $16.00
In addition to other taxes and fees, these fees will be assessed starting July 1, 2022, in accordance with the Sustainability Of The Transportation System Act (SB 21-260):
- Electric Vehicle Registration Fee
- Commercial Electric Road Usage - 10,00 to 16,000 lbs
- Commercial Electric Road Usage - 16,000 to 26,000 lbs
- Commercial Electric Road Usage - More than 26,000 lbs
Electric Motor Vehicle Road Usage fees are as follows:
Please contact your County Motor Vehicle office for the most up-to-date information.
Cash, check or credit card are accepted, but there might be a credit card processing fee depending on the county where the transaction will happen. Different counties accept different credit cards, please see below:
The following Counties accept MasterCard, Visa, and Discover as payment options when titling and registering a vehicle:
- Adams, Alamosa, Arapahoe, Archuleta, Baca, Boulder, Broomfield, Chaffee, Cheyenne, Clear Creek, Conejos, Costilla, Custer, Delta, Denver, Dolores, Douglas, Eagle, El Paso, Fremont, Garfield, Gilpin, Grand, Gunnison, Huerfano, Jackson, Jefferson, Kiowa, Kit Carson, Lake, Larimer, Las Animas, Lincoln, Logan, Mesa ,Moffat, Montezuma, Montrose, Morgan, Otero, Ouray, Park, Phillips, Pitkin, Prowers, Pueblo, Rio Blanco, Rio Grande, Routt, Saguache, San Miguel, Summit, Teller and Washington
The following Counties accept Master Card, Visa, Discover and American Express as a payment option when titling and registering a vehicle: