Fees are based on the empty weight and type of vehicle being registered, C.R.S. 42-3-306. Additional fees may be collected based on county of residence and license plate selected.
Coloradans who do not register their vehicle within the grace period (90 days for residents who moved to Colorado and 30 days for all other vehicle registrations), will have to pay prorated back taxes and fees in addition to vehicle registration fees. Since the taxes and fees will vary for each Coloradan based on the vehicle and county of residence, residents should visit their county motor vehicle office to find out how much they will owe if they are delinquent in registering their vehicle.
- These taxes are based on the year of manufacture of the vehicle and the original taxable value which is determined when the vehicle is new and does not change throughout the life of the vehicle.
- The specific ownership taxes you paid for a registration year are on the back of your registration receipt.
- Ownership tax is in lieu of personal property tax. Vehicles do not need to be operated in order to be assessed this tax.
- The ownership tax rate is assessed on the original taxable value and year of service
- Specific Ownership Tax Class Tables- Tax Class B, Tax Class C, Tax Class D and Tax Class F
Funding Advancement for Surface Transportation Economic Recovery (FASTER) fees (Road Safety and Bridge Safety) were created with Senate Bill 09-108.
Road Safety Surcharge - 43-4-804(1)(a)(I) Bridge Safety Surcharge - 43-4-805(5)(g)
Vehicle Fee Vehicle Fee
Motorcycle $4.90 Motorcycle $13.00
Motor Scooter $4.90 Motor Scooter $13.00
Motor Bicycle $4.90 Motor Bicycle $13.00
2,000 lbs or less $4.90 2,000 lbs or less $13.00
2,001 - 5,000 lbs $11.90 2,001 - 5,000 lbs $18.00
5,001 - 10,000 lbs $16.90 5,001 - 10,000 lbs $23.00
Passenger Bus $25.90 Passenger Bus $29.00
10,001 - 16,000 lbs $25.90 10,001 - 16,000 lbs $29.00
16,001 lbs or more $27.90 16,001 lbs or more $32.00
Farm Vehicle Fee Farm Vehicle Fee
2,000 lbs or less $0.00 2,000 lbs or less $6.50
2,001 - 5,000 lbs $0.40 2,001 - 5,000 lbs $9.00
5,001 - 10,000 lbs $2.90 5,001 - 10,000 lbs $11.50
Passenger Bus $7.40 Passenger Bus $14.50
10,001 - 16,000 lbs $7.40 10,001 - 16,000 lbs $14.50
16,001 lbs or more $2.90 16,001 lbs or more $16.00
Beginning in 2023, Colorado residents can get a $29 Keep Colorado Wild Pass during their annual vehicle registration. To learn more, visit the Colorado Parks and Wildlife webpage.
In addition to other taxes and fees, these fees will be assessed starting July 1, 2023, in accordance with the Sustainability Of The Transportation System Act (SB 21-260):
|Plug-In Electric Vehicle Registration Fee||$51.88||$54.47|
Commercial Electric Road Usage -
|Commercial Electric Road Usage -
16,000 to 26,000 lbs
|Commercial Electric Road Usage -
More than 26,000 lbs
Electric Motor Vehicle Road Usage fees are as follows. These rates are pre-determined by statute. Inflation will not begin until Fiscal Year (FY) 2032-33:
Please contact your County Motor Vehicle office for the most up-to-date information.
Cash, check or credit card are accepted, but there might be a credit card processing fee depending on the county where the transaction will happen. Different counties accept different credit cards, please see below:
The following Counties accept MasterCard, Visa, and Discover as payment options when titling and registering a vehicle:
- Adams, Alamosa, Arapahoe, Archuleta, Baca, Boulder, Broomfield, Chaffee, Cheyenne, Clear Creek, Conejos, Costilla, Custer, Delta, Denver, Dolores, Douglas, Eagle, El Paso, Fremont, Garfield, Gilpin, Grand, Gunnison, Huerfano, Jackson, Jefferson, Kiowa, Kit Carson, Lake, Larimer, Las Animas, Lincoln, Logan, Mesa ,Moffat, Montezuma, Montrose, Morgan, Otero, Ouray, Park, Phillips, Pitkin, Prowers, Pueblo, Rio Blanco, Rio Grande, Routt, Saguache, San Miguel, Summit, Teller and Washington
The following Counties accept Master Card, Visa, Discover and American Express as a payment option when titling and registering a vehicle: