Inoperable and Stored Vehicles


Inoperable Vehicles

A new law (House Bill 22-1388) requires owners of an inoperable vehicle undergoing maintenance, repair, restoration, rebuilding, or renovation, to pay an annual specific ownership tax (SOT). Upon payment, the owner will receive a decal as proof of payment which needs to be placed on the inoperable vehicle. If the vehicle is kept on private property, the owner shouldn’t be charged additional surcharges or fees for the purposes of getting the vehicle into working condition. Once the vehicle is in working condition, the vehicle owner will need to register the vehicle with their county motor vehicle office. 

Please be advised that if you do not pay the annual SOT for an inoperable vehicle (and receive the decal), you will be subject to prior registration fees according to Colorado Registration Fairness Act (House Bill 22-1254) when you go to register your vehicle after it is in working order. Late fees may also be assessed.

Stored Vehicles

If you are storing a vehicle that is not being driven (but is still operable); it is still required to be registered. If the vehicle does not have insurance, as it is being stored and not driven, a DR2303 Non-Use of Vehicle form can be completed in place of the insurance (this would have to be completed directly with the county and not online). If emissions is required, it is still required to have an emissions test to register.

Please note that if either vehicle situation is not registered as required by statute, then late fees will be assessed.

Frequently Asked Questions

What form do I need to complete for my inoperable vehicle?

Please find Form DR2910 Inoperable Vehicle Declaration on our Forms By Number page. It will need to be completed and submitted to your county motor vehicle office. 

Where do I put the inoperable vehicle decal?

Place the decal on the windshield of the inoperable vehicle. If the vehicle doesn’t have a windshield (due to the state of the vehicle), the decal can be placed by a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

Can an inoperable vehicle be operated on roadways?

No, inoperable vehicles must remain on private property and are not allowed to be operated on roadways until they are deemed roadworthy by a P.O.S.T. certified officer and all registration documentation is processed by their County Motor Vehicle office.

When did the inoperable vehicle legislation go into effect?

The Vehicle Registration and Certificate of Title law (HB22-1388) went into effect on March 1, 2023.